IAEM Milestones 1980-1989
- Foundation of Australian Society of Emergency Medicine.
- Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin hosts the 1982 Annual Meeting of CSA
- Creation of first dedicated Accident & Emergency postgraduate examination FRCSEd(A&E) i.e. Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in Accident & Emergency Medicine & Surgery.
- Appointment of Dr Peter Keenan to The Children’s Hospital, Temple St. Dublin – the first Consultant in Paediatric Accident & Emergency Medicine.
- Establishment of Australasian College of Emergency Medicine (ACEM).
- Appointment of Mr Anthony Martin to Galway Regional Hospital – the first Consultant in Accident & Emergency Medicine outside of Dublin.
- Foundation of Irish Accident & Emergency Association (IAEA) on 29th April 1989. The inaugural meeting took place at the National Yacht Club in Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin.
- Foundation of the International Federation for Emergency Medicine with United Kingdom (CSA), United States (ACEP), Canada (CAEP) and Australasia (ACEM) as its four founding members.
- Appointment of Dr Roisin Healy to Our Lady’s Hospital for Sick Children – the first female Consultant in the specialty.